Add The Wire As Your Trusted Source
For the best experience, open
https://m.thewire.in
on your mobile browser.
AdvertisementAdvertisement

Uttarakhand BJP Chief Backtracks on Comments Against Students Amid Opposition Pressure

Mahendra Bhatt, who allegedly used expletives to address protesting students, issued a public apology on Sunday (July 26) after Congress leader Ganesh Godiyal cited the example of BJP minister Premchand Aggarwal who was removed after using similar language.
Mahendra Bhatt, who allegedly used expletives to address protesting students, issued a public apology on Sunday (July 26) after Congress leader Ganesh Godiyal cited the example of BJP minister Premchand Aggarwal who was removed after using similar language.
uttarakhand bjp chief backtracks on comments against students amid opposition pressure
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami offers sweet to Rajya Sabha MP Mahendra Bhatt after the latter was re-elected as Uttarakhand BJP president on July 1, 2025. Photo: X, @pushkardhami.
Advertisement

New Delhi: Uttarakhand BJP chief Mahendra Bhatt issued a public apology for making objectionable remarks against students following former Union education minister Dharmendra Pradhan's resignation, after facing widespread backlash from Congress and other organisations.

On Saturday (July 25) a video of Bhatt surfaced online, wherein he allegedly used expletives to address the students who had been calling for Pradhan's resignation over irregularities in the NEET-UG examination and numerous pitfalls in the national education system highlighted earlier this year.

Although Bhatt's exact wording is not clear, as per video clippings of his statement circulating online, he seemed to refer to students as "saale," questioning what students "sitting at home" had to do with the protests.

Flagging the comments, state Congress president Ganesh Godiyal said Bhatt's abusive language made apparent his hurt on Pradhan's resignation. He further reminded Bhatt that the use of similar language by a BJP politician, Premchand Aggarwal, had earlier resulted in his removal from a ministerial post.

"The comments reflect your [Bhatt's] feelings towards students and the people of Uttarakhand. Before this issue extends any further, I hope you issue a public apology. If not, I assure you students will hold an indefinite sit-up outside your premises until you do so," said Godiyal in a video message on X.

Advertisement

However, Bhatt maintained that he did not use any expletives and accused the opposition of misinterpreting his remarks. Uttarakhand BJP media in-charge Manveer Singh Chauhan also came to Bhatt's defence and said his words were taken out of context.

Advertisement

To this, Godiyal replied that Bhatt was trying to evade responsibility instead of owning up to his mistakes and unconditionally apologising to the students.

Advertisement

In a social media post on Facebook on Sunday (July 26), Bhatt wrote, "If any words or pronunciations from my statements yesterday offended anyone, I express my regret. It was not my intention to hurt anyone's sentiments."

Advertisement

The controversy comes amid allegations of a question paper leak at Uttarakhand Technical University (UTU).

This article went live on July twenty-seventh, two thousand twenty six, at fifty-eight minutes past one in the afternoon.

The Wire is now on WhatsApp. Follow our channel for sharp analysis and opinions on the latest developments.

Advertisement
Advertisement
tlbr_img1 Series tlbr_img2 Columns tlbr_img3 Multimedia